Marley family seek justice
Marley family seek justice


Informers within the Provisional IRA are suspected of providing information that led to the loyalist murder of a senior republican in north Belfast man almost 30 years ago.

Laurence Marley, known as Larry, was shot dead by the UVF in front of his wife and new-born son as he answered a knock at the door of his Ardoyne home in April 1987.

The senior IRA figure was gunned down 18 months after serving a 13-year jail term for his part in the armed struggle, which included helping to mastermind the famous Long Kesh prison breakout of 1983.

His family is now preparing to sue the PSNI police, the British Ministry of Defence and Direct Ruler Theresa Villiers over his death. They believe the Crown Forces played a part in targeting the father-of-six by passing information to his loyalist killers, facilitating the attack and protecting their own agents.

His funeral was delayed for three days after the RUC police launched a massive security operation and formed a heavily armed cordon around his home to prevent a republican funeral.

Two attempts to bury the IRA man were aborted after a platoon of RUC surrounded his cortege. His funeral finally took place six days after his death.

During the stand-off undertakers had to re-embalm the body in the house amid threats from the RUC that it would be seized under public health laws.

The episode led to Bishop of Down and Connor Cahal Daly calling on the RUC to rethink its approach to dealing with republican funerals.

It is now thought that the senior republican was set up by a number of agents within the IRA who supplied information to their Crown Force handlers on his movements -- and who in turn passed it on to the UVF.

His son Setanta believes that information was “passed on by republican agents to their handlers which would have added to the knowledge of my father’s involvement in planning the ‘great escape’ in 1983 which was a major embarrassment to the Thatcher administration, especially in the shadow of the hunger strike.”

Setanta, who was only two week’s old when his father was killed, accused the PSNI of failing to investigate his death properly.

“The behaviour of the security forces at the funeral is nothing short of proving investigative bias,” he said.

He said the family wants “accountability and truth on the part of the British government” and has been “put in a position where they have to pursue a civil action in the hope that the discovery process divulges information that can provide assistance and the truth”.

Mr Marley, who is himself a member of the legal team at KRW Law taking his father’s case, said the family was also engaged with the Police Ombudsman on the matter.

He said he believes his father’s murder was “sanctioned at the highest echelons of the British establishment” and described the RUC’s actions during the funeral as “vicious”.

Mr Marley said that in the months before his father’s death he had been arrested several times and threatened while being interrogated by the RUC at its Castlereagh base.

He said that floor plans and diagrams of the family home were also taken during Crown raids in the run up to his death. Mr Marley said his family also wants a new inquest under Article Two of the European Convention of Human Rights.

Urgent Appeal

Despite increasing support for Irish freedom and unity, we need your help to overcome British and unionist intransigence. We can end the denial of our rights in relation to Brexit, the Irish language, a border poll and legacy issues, with your support.

Please support IRN now to help us continue reporting and campaigning for our national rights. Even one pound a month can make a big difference for us.

Your contribution can be made with a credit or debit card by clicking below. A continuing monthly donation of £2 or more will give you full access to this site. Thank you. Go raibh míle maith agat.

© 2015 Irish Republican News