Irish Republican News · December 14, 2010
[Irish Republican News]

[Irish Republican News]
Two arrested over murder of Catholic teen

Two men have been arrested in connection with the loyalist murder of 19-year-old Eileen Doherty, whose taxi was hijacked by gunmen in south Belfast over 37 years ago.

The young woman was shot dead in what is believed to have been a random sectarian attack by loyalists, as she travelled home to Andersonstown from the Ormeau Road in September 1973.

She had agreed to share a taxi with two men in their 20s who said they were going to nearby Finaghy but, during the journey, they pulled a gun on the driver.

The driver escaped unhurt, but the men caught Eileen Doherty as she fled along Annadale Embankment. She was shot three times in the head and body and died in hospital a short time later.

The men, both aged 57, were arrested in the Newtownards and south Belfast areas on Tuesday. They have been taken to Antrim for questioning about the killing.

The murder investigation was reopened by the PSNI, after a review of the case by the Historical Enquiries Team indentified new evidential opportunities.

At the time, on the 37th anniversary of Eileen Doherty’s death, her family said they hoped her killers would be brought to justice.

“The pain of losing a loved one in circumstances like this never goes away. Eileen had her whole life in front of her and it is a sin that it was taken from her,” they said.

Speaking in September, the PSNI Detective in charge of the investigation said he believed the killers can be caught.

“This is an unusual step but one which we think is worth taking because there are sufficient grounds for believing we can catch the killers,” said John McVea.

“Times have changed, secrets may have been shared. I would ask individuals to examine their hearts and their consciences at the same time as my detectives examine these new investigative opportunities. It is the right thing to do.”


A prominent loyalist escaped injury in a pipe bomb attack in an ongoing loyalist feud in Antrim town on Sunday morning.

Windows were broken and the blast caused interior and exterior damage to the house.

Progressive Unionist Party spokesman Ken Wilkinson said he believed he was targeted for condemning criminal activity and said he could have been killed.

We have a favour to ask

We want to keep our publication as available as we can, so we need to ask for your help. Irish Republican News takes time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe it makes a difference. If everyone who reads our website helps fund it, our future would be much more secure.

For as little as £1, you can support Irish Republican News – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.

© 2010 Irish Republican News