Irish Republican News · November 24, 2003
[Irish Republican News]

[Irish Republican News]
Catholic home torched

Unionists were last night blamed for an arson attack on the home of a Catholic family in west Belfast.

A blaze broke out at the house on the Springfield Road shortly after 5am on Saturday. Two youths were seen running away towards the mainly unionist Springfield Parade shortly after the attack.

The Catholic owner of the house, who did not want to be named, last night said he had no doubt that the attack had been carried out by unionists.

``Whoever did this thought we were in the house on Friday night. As far as I am concerned it was attempted murder,'' he said.

However, he insisted that he bore no grudges against the Protestant community.

``It is a mixed area and my Protestant neighbour was in tears on Saturday at what had happened,'' he said.

``I don't blame the Protestant people who live in the area because I know they are good people. But there are obviously some people who couldn't stand to see a Catholic living on that part of road.''

We have a favour to ask

We want to keep our publication as available as we can, so we need to ask for your help. Irish Republican News takes time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe it makes a difference. If everyone who reads our website helps fund it, our future would be much more secure.

For as little as £1, you can support Irish Republican News – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.

© 2003 Irish Republican News