The Irish Prime Minister, An Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, has received the long-awaited report by Justice Barron into the 1974 Dublin and Monaghan bombings which killed 33 people, but has refused to make it public.
Mr Ahern said this morning it would be discussed at Cabinet and released at an unspecified later date.
At approximately 5.30 p.m. on May 17th, 1974, three car-bombs exploded in Dublin city centre. The bombs were strategically located and timed to kill as many civilians as possible.
In Parnell Street, Talbot Street and South Leinster Street that Friday rush hour, 26 people died and more than 200 were injured.
Ninety minutes later a car-bomb exploded on North Street, Monaghan. Seven people died and more than 40 were injured. No warnings were given. No charges were ever brought against the perpetrators.
The Barron inquiry was set up by the Dublin government after decades of pressure from relatives of the victims as evidence mounted that the bombings had been carried with the involvement of the British Crown forces.
Although the report was originally expected a year ago, the work of the inquiry was hampered by a lack of co-operation from the British authorities.
Relatives of people who died in the bombs urged the Government to publish the findings without delay.
Ms Margaret Urwin, spokeswoman for victims' group Justice for the Forgotten, said she hoped the details would be released within a couple of weeks.
``We have been expecting the report for so long and are relieved that it is coming to the Government at last,'' she said.
``Now we are calling on the government to publish the findings as quickly as possible. We don't want it to be held unduly by the government.''
Justice for the Forgotten is calling for a full public Inquiry into the greatest single loss of life in the history of the northern conflict.
``The concern that the bombings were linked to and covered up by security forces in Northern Ireland is too serious and grave a concern for any State not to subject it to the most detailed and public scrutiny,'' it said in a statement.
Sinn Féin's Mr Caoimhghin O Caolain, also called for the report to be published without delay.
He said: ``There must be no delay in the publication of a report which is long overdue, mainly because of the refusal of the British authorities to fully cooperate with the work of Justice Barron.
Inquests recently reopened into the deaths of those who died. Both inquests were adjourned until all evidence has been gathered.