Irish Republican News · September 13, 2003
[Irish Republican News]

[Irish Republican News]
Govt `dozing' as 1,000 jobs go East

3Com in Dublin, which currently employs 700, is to close its manufacturing facility and retain just 50 jobs in research and development.

A 3Com spokesman has confirmed that its manufacturing would be transferred to China and other low-cost countries. The company said the decision to close was part of its drive to improve efficiency and reduce costs.

The Irish Deputy Prime Minister, Tanaiste Mary Harney, expressed disappointment at the news. ``It will be particularly regretful to this hard-working and dedicated workforce that, despite outperforming all contract manufacturing options available, the company has chosen to relocate and outsource their operations elsewhere.''

3Com workers were told of the closure yesterday morning, in an hour-long presentation, at two meetings.

One employee said that the closure had been anticipated for some time, but expressed disappointment at the way the news had come out in media reports last week - before the workers knew anything.

3Com will pay each employee six weeks' pay for each year of service. This is on top of the two weeks' statutory redundancy payment.

In addtion, it was reported that some 315 jobs will be lost when the electrical group Schneider closes its factory at Celbridge, County Kildare, next April. The plant, which has been operating in the town for 26 years, will close with the loss of 315 jobs.

The manual operations located at the Celbridge facility will be moved to the Czech Republic, where operating costs are lower and which is closer to the company's fastest-growing markets, the company said.

SIPTU said it was shocked at the severity of the cuts and accused the Government of ``inaction and indifference'' over recent job losses.

Mr Mike Jennings, the union's regional secretary for the midlands and south-east, said the Minister for Finance, Mr McCreevy, and Ms Harney were ``dozing'' while workers were losing their jobs.

We have a favour to ask

We want to keep our publication as available as we can, so we need to ask for your help. Irish Republican News takes time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe it makes a difference. If everyone who reads our website helps fund it, our future would be much more secure.

For as little as £1, you can support Irish Republican News – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.

© 2003 Irish Republican News