Irish Republican News · March 21, 2015
[Irish Republican News]

[Irish Republican News]
IRISH REPUBLICAN NEWS: Frazer calls off ‘Love Ulster 2’; Bryson convicted
Frazer calls off ‘Love Ulster 2’; Bryson convicted

frazerbryson.jpg

A sectarian parade through Dublin has been cancelled after organisers claimed the Dublin government is preparing to hand over files to an inquest.

High-profile loyalist activist Willie Frazer had threatened to hold a second ‘Love Ulster’ event in the capital on March 28, with up to five bus-loads of protesters and pipe bands taking part.

Frazer said that a meeting in Dublin this week resulted in an agreement being reached on the handing over of certain information relating to an attack at Kingsmill in 1976.

But he continued to threaten to hold an unapproved parade if the requested information was not passed to a coroner in Belfast.

If the 26 County government reneged on their agreement, he said “there would be no more talks”.

“For a change it seems to be a sensible outcome, usually in these cases people stick to their guns - but they are prepared to fulfil their commitment,” he said.

There were fears that the violence that happened when the first ‘Love Ulster’ parade took place in 2006 - when 14 people were injured and rioting spread across the city - would be repeated.

Frazer said “at this point” the parade would not go ahead. He claimed his group had been assured by officials that the government would be “in touch” before a preliminary hearing scheduled for March 27 - a day before the planned march.

“We were told that information will start to pass to the inquest by the 27th. At the end of the day, that is all we asked for,” he said.

BRYSON GUILTY

Meanwhile, high profile loyalist flag protester Jamie Bryson has been convicted of taking part in unlawful parades.

The 24-year-old was also found guilty of blocking roads during one of the demonstrations staged in Belfast. He was released on bail and will be sentenced in four weeks time.

The case was unusual after a ruling that Bryson’s defence had to prove he “did not know or have reason to suspect” that parades to and from east Belfast to city hall at the height of the 2013 loyalist disturbances were lawful.

A district judge at the city’s magistrates court rejected claims that he had only been present “as an individual”, blissfully unaware the events could have been illegal.

“The defendant’s evidence lacked any real substance or credibility on any of the issues relevant to the case,” Fiona Bagnall said.

“In my opinion he was at pains to try and misinterpret statements of senior police in order to attempt to pass responsibility for his actions to the police as opposed to accepting responsibility for his own actions.”

The court heard he told police that he was a republican and the First Minister. He also said he was in a gay relationship with fellow campaigner Willie Frazer.

Speaking after the ruling Bryson, who rose to prominence during the loyalist flag dispute, said the issue would go straight to the court of appeal.

He said he refused to answer questions reasonably, as he had been asked unreasonable questions.

“This was a political witch hunt,” he said.

© 2015 Irish Republican News