A number of events took place last weekend to remember those killed in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, and wreathes were laid at the Talbot Street memorial in Dublin and in Monaghan town centre.
The ceremonies were held to mark the 40th anniversary of the attacks, which left 33 people and one unborn child dead.
The four co-ordinated bombings would be the single deadliest attack in the conflict, and remain the largest attack on Irish soil since the War of Independence.
Among the victims were Tomassino Magliocco, who now lives in Italy and whose father Antonio died in a blast on Parnell Street, and Iris Hall, whose father Archie Harper was killed in Monaghan.
Speaking at the main service, Taoiseach Enda Kenny told survivors of the blasts and relatives of those killed that those who died “will never be forgotten”.
Nobody has even been charged with the bombings and there is a dossier of evidence pointing to collusion between unionist paramilitaries and British forces. Families of those who lost their lives are now suing the British government to compel them to release documents about the atrocities.
Sinn Fein’s Raymond McCartney called on the British government to release all of the files. He said the hurt felt by the victims over the loss of their loved ones had been made worse by four decades of “cover up and silence” from the British government.
“The British government were a party to the conflict and cannot be allowed to shirk its responsibility in dealing with the past,” he said.
“As well as failing the families of those killed in Dublin and Monaghan, the British government is failing many other victims by its refusal to sign up to the Haass proposals on dealing with the past.”
SDLP leader Alasdair McDonnell also urged the British government to act.
“As co-guarantors of the Good Friday Agreement, [they] must take the opportunity of the 40th anniversary to play a full role in bringing the truth to light,” he said.
Margaret Urwin, spokeswoman for Justice for the Forgotten, said she hoped action would follow.
“The Tanaiste issued a strongly worded statement and restored funding for which we are very grateful.
“For a long time we have been asking that the taoiseach issue a statement. He has called, in the parliament, on the British to act but i think it’s much more significant when they make a statement. We hope it will be followed up by action by the British.”
British Direct Ruler Teresa Villiers said she will continue to hold talks with the Dublin government over the bombings, but promised no new action on releasing files.
In his sermon the Archbishop of Dublin said great strides towards reconciliation have been made in the 40 years since the bombings.
“But we also know that reconciliation will only be lasting when it is based on truth,” he said.
“In a modern human rights culture, which fights against impunity and seeks reconciliation in truth, it is anachronistic that there are still those who place obstacles to the revelation of the truth of what happened in these bombings.”
The following were the victims of the Dublin and Monaghan Bombings:
Parnell Street, Dublin
John O’Brien, aged 23, employed by Palm Grove
Anne O’Brien, aged 22, housewife
Jacqueline O’Brien, aged 1, daughter of John and Anne
Anne Marie O’Brien, a baby, daughter of John and Anne
John Dargle, aged 80, pensioner
Patrick Fay, aged 47, Post Office worker
Antonio Magliocco, aged 37, Italian restaurant owner
Edward John O’Neill, aged 39, self-employed painter and decorator
Breda Turner, aged 21, civil servant
Marie Butler, aged 21, nurse
Talbot Street, Dublin
Anne Byrne, aged 35, housewife
Simone Chetrit, aged 30, Parisian student
Colette Doherty, aged 20 and pregnant; shop owner
Anne Marren, aged 20, civil servant
Marie Phelan, aged 20, civil servant
Maureen Shiels, aged 44, civil servant
Siobhan Roice, aged 19, civil servant
Josephine Bradley, aged 21, civil servant
Breda Grace, aged 35, housewife
Mary McKenna, aged 55, shop worker
Concepta Dempsey, aged 65, shop worker
Dorothy Morris, aged 57, employed at Cadbury’s
John Walshe, aged 27
Elizabeth Fitzgerald, aged 59, housewife
South Leinster Street, Dublin
Anna Massey, aged 21, employed at Lisney’s auctioneers
Christina O’Loughlin, aged 51, employed at Shelbourne Hotel
John Travers, aged 29, self-employed
Margaret White, aged 44, restaurant worker
Thomas Campbell, aged 52, agricultural worker
Patrick Askin, aged 44, forestry worker
George Williamson, aged 73, farmer
Archibald Harper, aged 73, farmer and publican
Thomas Croarkin, aged 36, agricultural worker