Irish Republican News · August 24, 2012
[Irish Republican News]

[Irish Republican News]
IRISH REPUBLICAN NEWS: Demand for genuine inquest into teen’s death
Demand for genuine inquest into teen’s death

seamusbradley.jpg

The family of a teenager shot dead by soldiers during Operation Motorman has called for a new inquest into his death.

Seamus Bradley, an IRA volunteer, was shot in the Creggan area of Derry 40 years ago as British forces sought to regain control of IRA-held areas.

His family said yesterday that, contrary to British Army claims, the 19-year-old was unarmed and was not shot while climbing a tree in the Creggan. He was shot twice in the back while running at Bishop’s Field, where he fell.

A report that was published earlier this year by the Historical Enquiry Team (HET) said his death was never “effectively investigated”.

Mr Bradley’s family, supported by Sinn Fein’s Martina Anderson and Mark Durkan of the SDLP, pointed to strong evidence to pave the way for a new inquest. This includes photographs of the bullet wounds which the family put on display at a press conference held in Derry this week.

Mr Bradley’s sister Teresa said that the family are not seeking prosecutions of any of the soldiers but they want clarification of how he died, which they say will be the foundation of a case against the British government.

Teresa Bradley added: “It is now three months since the HET report came out and it has taken that time to read the report and look at the photographs to put our case together.

“The HET review has clearly stated that Seamus’ death was never effectively investigated. I would also refer to the HET quote ‘if the soldier was telling the truth’.

“The soldiers claim that it took an hour to find Seamus -- deliberate lies that can be proven to be untrue,” she added.

“After the new inquest, I will be laying down plans to put a case against the British Government on the actions that they took.

“These photographs do not tell lies of the wounds Volunteer Seamus Bradley received.

“Doctor Cassidy confirms that Seamus would have survived from all the wounds in his body if he had been given medical attention. This is a major point in my brother’s case.”

Mark Durkan said it was imperative the Bradley family were granted a new inquest so that they could have “a full, thorough verdict of the truth”.

Martina Anderson said there was a duty on the coroner to investigate the case given that the HET report showed that Seamus Bradley bled to death, but would have survived if he had received medical attention.

© 2012 Irish Republican News