Irish Republican News · December 9, 2011
[Irish Republican News]

[Irish Republican News]
IRISH REPUBLICAN NEWS: Finucane decision faces judicial review
Finucane decision faces judicial review
patfinucane.jpg

The British government is to face a legal challenge over its failure to launch a public inquiry into Crown force collusion in the murder of defence lawyer Pat Finucane.

Relatives of the Belfast man are to seek a judicial review of British Prime Minister David Cameron’s decision that a barrister should instead review the papers on the case.

Mr Finucane’s widow Geraldine stormed out of Downing Street when informed of the plan in October. The move explicitly reneged on the 2001 Weston Park agreement, as well as repeated British government understandings and statements since then.

She has now confirmed her intention to launch a challenge in the High Court in Belfast next week.

Ms Finucane said: “Not for the first time have we had to resort to legal proceedings to vindicate our legal rights.

“It is clear that the British government have cynically reneged on the commitment made at Weston Park.

“The Cameron decision is also incompatible with Article 2 of the European Convention on Human Rights (the right to life).

“We take the view that the decision not to hold a public judicial inquiry is just another obstacle which we will have to overcome.

“We are determined to get to the truth surrounding my husband’s murder. Our campaign will continue.”

The legal papers will be lodged in the High Court within days and a date for hearing will be sought.

Mr Finucane was 39 when he was shot 14 times by the UDA gunmen as he was eating dinner. Most or all of the UDA gang were in the pay of the British Crown forces, including the organiser of the attack, MI5 agent Brian Nelson.

Last week, 26-County Taoiseach Enda Kenny said he intends to continue to press the British government to hold a public inquiry into the murder of Pat Finucane.

Meanwhile, the bereaved families of 10 people shot dead by British soldiers in west Belfast have also appealed to the Taoiseach to support their calls for an independent investigation.

Relatives of those killed in the Ballymurphy shootings 40 years ago submitted a letter of petition to the Department of the Taoiseach.

Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams was at the Dail to support the campaigners - who have also sent letters to Downing Street and Stormont to coincide with Human Rights Week.

Briege Voyle, who was 14 when her mother Joan Connolly was killed, said the families were calling for no more than what they were entitled to.

“We don’t want an inquiry that goes on and costs thousands of pounds,” said Mrs Voyle.

“All we want is the truth and an investigation is the only thing that’s going to give us the truth.

“The law states that everyone is entitled to an investigation, especially in a killing.

“Our loved ones were murdered, so we’re only asking for what we’re entitled to.”

© 2011 Irish Republican News