Bloody Sunday prosecutions still awaited one year on
A decision on the prosecution of British paratroopers over the Bloody Sunday killings is expected before the end of the summer.
A number of events took place on Wednesday this week to mark the first anniversary of the publication of the Saville report.
Saville’s findings, published on June 15 last year, included that all 14 victims were killed unlawfully in 1972. The publication of the report was accompanied by public apology by British prime minister David Cameron.
John Kelly, a brother of Bloody Sunday victim Michael, said the publication of Saville and its content has brought a huge change to his life and had a huge impact throughout the north. But he warned that it was not a case of “job done”.
“We’re still waiting on the prosecutions,” he said.
The majority of the Bloody Sunday families are keen that the paratroopers are brought before a judge after nearly four decades of campaigning for justice.
“I look at it like this -- my brother Michael was murdered. Anywhere else the person who did it would be prosecuted,” Mr Kelly said.