Irish Republican News · September 24, 2010
[Irish Republican News]

[Irish Republican News]
IRISH REPUBLICAN NEWS: Prisoner beaten for refusing strip-search
Prisoner beaten for refusing strip-search
brutality.jpg

A “brutal assault and ritual humiliation” has been inflicted on republican prisoner Brendan Conway before a court appearance.

On the way to the court, Mr Conway was asked to remove all his clothing which he refused to do, according to the 32 County Sovereignty Committee.

Following this refusal, six prison warders in riot gear carried out an enforced strip search “ripping the clothes and underwear from his body”.

This culminated in a brutal assault resulting in numerous injuries which included cuts and bruises to his legs, his head and eye, together with choking injuries to his neck.

This was “proof, if any were needed, that granting basic human rights to Republican POWs in the occupied 6 counties is proving a bridge too far for the sectarian body which controls the regime”, the group said.

Mr Conway’s court appearance was subsequently cancelled as a result of the enforced strip search and he was returned to the wing.

The 32 County Sovereignty Movement condemned the assault and what it said was the attempt by the prison authorities to “unravel the deal which was negotiated to bring these draconian practices to an end”.

CAMPBELL TRIAL POSTPONED

Meanwhile, a Lithuanian court has postponed the trial against Michael Campbell, who is accused of trying to buy weapons and explosives there.

The Dundalk man was arrested in a sting operation in Lithuania in January 2008 involving the Lithuanian authorities in co-operation with MI5.

It is unclear when the trial, which began last year, will end.

© 2010 Irish Republican News