Irish Republican News · September 27, 2010
[Irish Republican News]

[Irish Republican News]
IRISH REPUBLICAN NEWS: Grenade attack claimed
Grenade attack claimed
crumlinpsni.jpg

A booby-trap device left at a PSNI base in Crumlin village earlier this month has been claimed by the breakaway IRA group using the name Oglaigh na hEireann.

It is believed the ONH broke into the station and spent several hours setting up an elaborate tripwire mechanism which was attached to a military grenade.

Closed-circuit cameras at Crumlin’s PSNI were reported to not be working at the time of this month’s incident.

It was claimed the device had been designed to go off when the handle was pulled on the door, springing a trip wire and pulling the pin out of the grenade.

However, the elaborate trip wire mechanism was said to have been spotted by PSNI members, averting the attack.

News of the incident came as British home secretary Theresa May announced the introduction of a new “dissident republican threat level” which she set at “substantial”.

She said it meant an attack in England, Scotland or Wales was now a “strong possibility”.

Meanwhile, Oglaigh na hEireann in Derry have claimed they are aware of a number of informers operating in the city and have threatened “severe and direct action” against them.

The group -- which carried out the 200lbs car bomb attack on Strand Road PSNI station last month -- also warned local people against co-operating with the PSNI.

In a telephoned call to a local newspaper, the group said: “The Derry Brigade of Oglaigh na hEireann take this opportunity to let the Derry public know that we are aware of certain informers and agents. We want to warn susceptible members of the community not to listen to the advice given to them by constitutional politicians who are telling them to work for the PSNI. If anything happens volunteers from Oglaigh na hEireann as a result of the activities of these informers, severe and direct action will be taken.”

The group also said it was not responsible for the recent hoax bomb attack at Craigavon Bridge on September 2nd which caused traffic chaos across the city. “We have never carried out these hoax incidents and we do not intend to do so in the future. It is not our intention to cause havoc through hoaxes,” a spokesperson said.

The group also said it had warned a local man, Sean Healy, to leave the country after reports that shots were fired outside his house.

© 2010 Irish Republican News