Irish Republican News · December 14, 2009
[Irish Republican News]

[Irish Republican News]
IRISH REPUBLICAN NEWS: British Army bomb squad wrecks home
British Army bomb squad wrecks home
bombsqddamage.jpg

A west Belfast man and his disabled brother were forced to wait in freezing temperatures while a British army unit destroyed the front of their home in a so-called “controlled explosion”.

Gerry Lowe was left to foot the bill for having the damage done to the front door and living room window repaired.

The bomb disposal arrived to the street, off the Springfield Road, at around 10pm on Friday, claiming that two vehicles stolen during a robbery were abandoned in the area.

Residents were forced out of their homes while two explosions was carried out on the suspect vehicles.

Mr Lowe said he and his older brother, who he said suffers from epilepsy, were told to immediately quit the house at around 8pm.

When they returned several hours later, they found the front window broken and the window frame and door damaged. A window in another house was also broken. A second explosion was carried out in a neighbouring street.

Mr Lowe said his disabled brother had been badly shaken after standing in the cold for so long.

Mr Lowe, who owns his own home, said he had since been informed by his insurance company that it is not liable for the damage caused to the property and that it won’t cover the costs.

© 2009 Irish Republican News