Irish Republican News · October 19, 2009
[Irish Republican News]

[Irish Republican News]
IRISH REPUBLICAN NEWS: Dissidents claim car device
Dissidents claim car device
boobytrap.jpg

The IRA breakaway group known as Oglaigh na hEireann has claimed responsibility for an under-car bomb in east Belfast last Thursday.

Using a recognised codeword the group said that it was a mercury tilt-switch-type device designed to cause maximum damage to the passenger side of the vehicle.

The sports car was normally used to transport a member of the PSNI police to work, but he is understood to have escaped the attack. His partner was reported to have received a bruised arm and ringing in her ears when the device detonated at 7.30am.

The PSNI said that, had their officer sat in the passenger seat as usual, he could have been killed.

It indicated a high level of local knowledge by the often erratic Oglaigh na hEireann group as the vehicle is understood to have been used regularly by his partner to drive him to work.

Taking place in the heart of unionist east Belfast, there was speculation that incident may mark a new direction in the campaign by the Oglaigh na hEireann group.

It was responsible for a giant 600 lb landmine abandoned near the border in south Armagh last month and has carried out a number of punishment attacks on anti-social elements in west Belfast.

It also claimed responsibility for the attack on Massareene British Army base in March, although this has since been attributed to the ‘Real IRA’.

A PSNI representative said its members had for some time been on alert and advised to check under their cars because of the increased threat from dissidents.

“We are aware there is a serious threat and that has been the case for some time.”

DUP leadwer Peter Robinson described the incident as an attack by “evil people” who think they “can change the course of political events”.

Sinn Fein MP and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness said the attack was “obviously intended to kill” and “has no support within the community and serves no cause”.

He added: “This attack has no support within the community and serves no cause. The vast majority of people want a future together in peace. The people of Ireland overwhelming support the peace process. They want the political institutions and progress to continue. It is for us as political leaders to ensure that their wishes are fulfilled. Attempts such as this to derail the peace process must not be allowed to succeed.”

© 2009 Irish Republican News