Irish Republican News · August 8, 2007
[Irish Republican News]

[Irish Republican News]
IRISH REPUBLICAN NEWS: Craigavon riot after bomb find
Craigavon riot after bomb find

Republican youths fought running battles with the PSNI police on Monday following a day-long military-style police operation in the town of Craigavon, County Armagh.

Crowds hurled petrol bombs, stones, fireworks and other missiles at officers as they raided a site in the Montbrief Road area of the town.

Earlier, British Army bomb disposal experts examined what was described as a suspicious object, which they blamed on republican militants. The PSNI also said they recovered hundreds of pounds of home-made explosive, and called for an end to the clashes.

“Not only are they risking the lives of officers who are simply trying to do their jobs, but they are risking the lives of their own community,” a PSNI spokeswoman said in a statement.

Calm was restored in the town following the end of the PSNI operation last night.

Meanwhile, nine people have been arrested in Tallaght as part of an ongoing investigation by the Garda Special Detective Unit into the activities of the INLA.

It was reported that when members of the unit raided the house in southwest Dublin, they found a man who was being interrogated by the republican group.

PARADE RESTRICTED

Extraordinary conditions have been imposed on a republican parade in Ballymena, County Antrim. The Parades Commission has told organisers they must not leave the Fisherwick housing estate during the internment anniversary march on Thursday despite the fact they had not applied to march there.

The Friends of William Orr republican band applied to march through a nationalist area over the course of two and a half hours.

The commission dismissed this application and instead restricted the marchers to a 100-metre stretch, ordering that the event should last no longer than 30 minutes.

In its determination the parading body noted that participants had chanted “INLA” at last year’s parade and carried “the flag of Fianna na hEireann”.

DUP North Antrim representative Mervyn Storey said that the parade should be banned by the British governor, Shaun Woodward.

“He should intervene and ban this. It serves no purpose for the republican community and certainly serves no purpose for the unionist community,” he said.

Sinn Féin called for the organisers to call off their parade.

© 2007 Irish Republican News