Irish Republican News · January 16, 2004
[Irish Republican News]

[Irish Republican News]
IRISH REPUBLICAN NEWS: Court success for family in U.S. deportation case
Court success for family in U.S. deportation case

A U.S. court has ruled that an Irish family can remain in the United States until their case against threatened deportation is heard.

Malachy McAllister, his wife and three children have been fighting deportation for years. His case has been taken up by Irish-American groups who advocate for victims of the conflict in Northern Ireland.

McAllister and his family fled Ireland in 1988 after armed loyalists attacked their home. They moved to Canada before settling in the United States in 1996. McAllister's application for political asylum was denied because of his role in the armed struggle against British rule. He had been convicted by a British judge in a non-jury trial and served time in jail.

Last December, McAllister and his 24-year-old son were spared deportation at the 11th hour after his legal firm petitioned the courts for a delay until the case is appealed.

U.S. Representative Steve Rothman who has lobbied to keep McAllister and his family in the United States, said yesterday's decision by the U.S. 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals, was a victory for the family.

``In granting a stay of removal, the court has sent a message that it recognizes the McAllisters have legitimate concerns over their personal safety should they be forced to return to Northern Ireland,'' Rothman said.

McAllister's wife, Bernadette, and three of the couple's four children have also been ordered deported and their request for a stay was also granted.

© 2004 Irish Republican News